Caesarean Birth: 8 Reasons Why This Is a Better Option
Giving birth is one of the most important moments from a woman`s life, and the anxiety of bringing a child into this world safely affects all future mothers one way or the other. While natural birth remains the first recommendation a doctor will give to all pregnant women, there are cases where a surgical intervention is a desired choice.
Caesarean birth is made by a small incision in the abdominal wall. Generally speaking, this kind of birth is considered to offer more risks than natural birth. However, Caesarean birth is a good option for women with an increase risk of complications to avoid dangerous situations.
This type of birth is performed by obstetricians. Midwives cannot perform such interventions.
In the last 30 years, the number of births through C-section has increased considerably. These days, 1 out of 4 women choose this option when giving birth.
Table of Contents
- 1 8 Reasons Why Caesarean Birth Is a Better Option
- 1.1 1. Pregnant Women Have More Intimacy
- 1.2 2. Births Can Be Scheduled
- 1.3 3. Babies Are Immediately Ready for Pictures
- 1.4 4. More Attention for Pain Relief
- 1.5 5. Better Care from your Loved Ones
- 1.6 6. Private Parts Aren`t Affected
- 1.7 7. More Safety for the Newborn
- 1.8 8. More Care in the Clinic or Hospital
- 2 Medical Reasons for Choosing Caesarean Birth
8 Reasons Why Caesarean Birth Is a Better Option
Besides the involved risks, there are also a series of advantages when it comes to Caesarean birth.
Because of the progress made by medicine in the last few decades, this type of birth has become a procedure much safer due to the improving of knowledge of doctors as well as the development of medical equipment. Therefore, much more pregnant women choose to give birth this way even though they aren`t constrained by other reasons then their own personal choice.
1. Pregnant Women Have More Intimacy
Labor and natural birth presumes, among many other things, for the pregnant woman to expose her private body parts for hours to her doctor and medical nurses. This isn`t a comfortable situation for her, especially if she is a shy person. Caesarean birth last for 45 minutes at maximum, and the private parts of the pregnant woman are mostly covered.
2. Births Can Be Scheduled
When you expect the arrival of your baby through natural birth, you never know when you`ll be taken by surprise by the big moment. The comfort of scheduling his birth, knowing that you can prepare yourself from all points of view, is a big advantage for Caesarean birth.
3. Babies Are Immediately Ready for Pictures
All newborn babies are beautiful in their own way, but babies that came into this world through this type of birth are more photogenic because of their perfectly round head. Babies born through natural birth don`t have a round head because of the small space they have to cross before they see the first light of this world.
4. More Attention for Pain Relief
Doctors pay a lot more attention for the new mothers after giving birth this way than after a natural birth. If in the second case doctors recommend to use hot compresses and resting to bed, after such a surgical intervention you`ll notice a lot more safety measures that the doctors take when they assist you.
5. Better Care from your Loved Ones
Even if everyone pays a lot of attention to the health of all new mommies, the fact that you just suffered a surgical intervention will increase the care that your loved ones will show you. The recovery after a Caesarean birth will be more difficult, which will mean that for a few weeks you aren`t allowed to make any kind of effort. You need to have someone that will take care of shopping, cooking or cleaning for you – these are the doctor`s orders!
6. Private Parts Aren`t Affected
A lot of pregnant women who choose to have a natural birth then find out that their sexual life remains just as satisfactory as before giving birth. On the other hand, there are also women that have a more difficult recovery, especially if they suffered an episiotomy (an incision of the perineum, in the area between the vagina and the anus).
In the case of a Caesarean birth, the vagina isn`t affected, so there are 100% chances for the sexual life to be resumed quickly and with no issues.
In addition, there are also other advantages which can`t be ignored at all. For example, urinary incontinence is not something to be taken into consideration when this type of birth is concerned because the pelvic will remain intact.
7. More Safety for the Newborn
Bringing a baby into this world safely is the main priority of any pregnancy, and a Caesarean birth will fulfill this in almost every case. Even though you might have to endure more consequences from the surgery, you`ll most certainly still be certain that you didn`t risk anything regarding the health of your new baby.
8. More Care in the Clinic or Hospital
Nowhere is like home! Still, a good healthcare in the clinic or hospital where you just gave birth is very important a few days after birth. Most pregnant women who had such a surgical intervention will benefit of hospitalization another 3 or 4 days after birth, compared with women who give birth naturally and then are discharged after 2 days.
If you have the chance, try and take advantage of the advices the nurses will give you regarding how to better take care of your newborn baby, possible difficulties that may appear when breastfeeding is concerned and other valuable information related to your pregnancy or newborn.
Medical Reasons for Choosing Caesarean Birth
The doctor can recommend you this option to give birth depending on your personal situation. Some cases are when critical situations occur, other ones are performed to prevent such critical situations and others are simply optional
- Placenta Previa – the placenta is located in the lower part of the uterus and covers the cervix partially or totally. One out of 200 women may experience this condition during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. The treatment involves bed rest as well as careful monitoring.
- Placental Abruption – the placenta separates from the uterine lining. In average, 1% of all pregnant women will experience this condition. The woman will experience vaginal bleeding and pain in her uterus.
- Uterine Rupture – this can be a life-threatening event for both baby and mother. This normally happens during active labor, but can also occur during late pregnancy.
- The Baby Is Premature – and has to be born.
- Umbilical Cord Prolapsed – the umbilical cord slips through the cervix and gets out from the vagina before the baby is born. When the uterus contracts, it causes pressure against the umbilical cord which reduces the blood flow towards the baby.
- Fetal Distress – for instance, lack of oxygen.
- The Impossibility to Go Forward during Labor – this happens when the cervix isn`t fully dilated, labor has slowed or stopped and the baby isn`t in the right position for birth.
- Repeated Caesarean Birth.
- Cerebrospinal Pelvic Disproportion – the baby`s head is too large or the mother`s pelvis is too small to allow the baby to pass through the vagina.
- Active Genital Herpes – through Caesarean birth the baby isn`t exposed to any virus like it would be through natural birth when passing through the channel of birth.
- Preeclampsia – hypertension during pregnancy.
- Birth Defects – if the baby has been diagnosed with a birth defect, Caesarean birth can be a viable option to avoid any other complications during birth.
- Multiple Births – the twins can be born through natural birth depending on their position, of their weight and the gestational birth. The triplets are less likely to be born through natural birth.