Stress during Pregnancy: How to Reduce it?
Stress during pregnancy affects more and more of women, either it`s about worries related to the baby`s health, either financial issues that involves childbirth. Even through stress while pregnant is something normal up to a point, when it becomes chronic and tends to anxiety, the consequences on the fetus may be quite severe. Find out how stress affects you and your baby, and which are the methods that can help you relax.
Table of Contents
Along with the joy of becoming a parent, any pregnancy brings numerous physical and psychical changes. Unfortunately, most of the times these changes that occur in a woman`s body aren`t the friendliest. From morning sickness to extra weight and the complications that may occur along the 9 months, they all have a considerable impact on the emotional state of a pregnant woman. Besides all this, stress during pregnancy is caused by factors such as:
- Hormonal changes that may occur once the pregnancy was installed are among the main causes of stress. They cause mood changes and they lead to unnatural reactions compared with your normal behavior.
- Fear of having a pregnancy with complications manifests in case of most pregnant women, who from desire to have an easier pregnant and a healthy baby, they become too concerned regarding the normal evolution of the fetus. Don`t forget that precaution and prevention are very important, but still, there`s a limit for everything.
- Physical changes are also a significant source of stress while pregnant, especially if you are the type of person that`s interested in how she looks. Don`t worry, it`s normal to gain a few pounds when expecting a child, which immediately after childbirth you`ll be able to get rid of with diet and physical exercises.
- Concerns related to the financial resources and raising a child contribute in a significant way to the tension that starts to accumulate lately.
Read more on Why Crying during Pregnancy It`s not Good!
On the short term, the existence of certain moment when stress puts pressure on your well being isn`t harmful for the normal development of your baby. However, when this tension becomes chronic, the natural evolution of pregnancy may be significantly affected. Among the most common consequences are:
- The increased risk of miscarriage.
- Premature birth.
- Chronic anxiety.
At the same time, there are consequences on the fetus as well, who may be born with extra weight, and later he may confront himself even with emotional issues. That`s why, it`s very important to find a way to get rid of stress, so that you can offer your future baby an optimal environment to develop in a healthy manner. In addition, it`s good to know that emotional stress while pregnant may affect you after childbirth as well; in fact, most cases may lead to postnatal depression. – Check this out!
How to Reduce Stress during Pregnancy?
Even if pregnancy is a period when your emotions fluctuate a lot and you are very sensitive to external factors, which make stress to be even more accentuated, there are simple methods that you can use to relax. Don`t forget that a fight in 2 is always easier, so you may want to let your partner know about it so he can be by your side. You should talk to him about the things that concern you, so that you can find a solution together. Here are a few of the things you can do:
- Get enough rest! At least 8 hours of sleep during the night and 2 – 3 hours during the day will make wonders for your general mood. In case stress causes you insomnia, drink linden tea with basil, eat with at least 2 hours before going to sleep and avoid sources of noise and light 1 hour before getting to bed.
- Eat healthy! During pregnancy, a well balanced diet based on fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy, fish and white meat will offer you all the nutrients that both you and the baby need for energy, and your body will a great general condition.
- Regular physical exercise is also an excellent method for your organism to relax, getting rid this way of negative energy. In addition, constant physical exercises will train your organism for physical effort, so when labor will start, it won`t seem like an ordeal. Choose to do exercises outdoors, because this way your brain and muscles will oxygenate easily, and you`ll feel full of energy and good mood.
- Avoid situations and people who have a tendency of causing you stress.
- Massage and baths with essential oils are recommended for combating stress when expecting a baby. Use them whenever you feel the need to relax and you`ll notice a significant improvement in your state of tension. – More info!
- Avoid cigarettes, alcohol and coffee, because these won`t do anything else than amplify your overall agitation, and will affect both your health and your baby.
- Spend time with your loved ones, talk to them about what`s happening, about the worries you have about your pregnancy, because this way your emotional tension will diminish considerably, and you won`t feel alone anymore in this delicate situation.
- Keep a positive attitude and try to understand that excessive worrying won`t solve the problems that keep you restless; on the contrary, they`ll increase. Instead of concern yourself, read a book, make yourself time to do things that you used to like and now you have no time anymore.
Stress during pregnancy presents a lot of risks and that`s why is indicated to try and diminish it as much as possible, even if you won`t be able to get rid of it completely. Learn how to look at things with calm and optimism, and if you feel the need, don`t hesitate to turn to a therapist.