How Do You Use Reusable Diapers?
In a world that is moving constantly, parents are able to find a large variety of products for their babies. Because they have so many different options to make, they are sometimes put in difficulties when trying to choose the right items for their newborn`s care.
Diapers, as common as they are, still manage to represent a challenge when parents walk to the store to buy them. They usually aren`t exactly sure which kind to buy: disposable diapers or reusable friendly. There are a few things they could consider, though, before choosing which type of diaper they should buy.
Their baby`s skin needs to always be clean, dry and without any irritations. Choosing the right kind of diapers can make a lot of difference when the baby`s health is concerned. Before following any current trends, take a look at the diaper`s label and check out the material from which is made or its ability to maintain a skin smooth and dry.
Table of Contents
About Reusable Diapers
Reusable diapers, also known as cloth diapers, are used for a long time, but they seemed to have lost some of their popularity when disposable diapers have appeared, which are more hygienic and practical. But because the modern world is in a constant attempt to protect the environment, and also because the health of your newborn is a priority, diapers made from canvas appear to be a more suitable choice.
Unlike disposable diapers, reusable diapers doesn`t affect your baby`s health when it comes to the material from which they are made. They are made from natural fibers and allow a natural ventilation for the baby`s skin. Besides this, they don`t contain any kind of chemicals, so irritations or allergies are avoided. They are also much cheaper and they are environmentally friendly.
However, keep in mind that not all reusable diapers are environmentally friendly. Only the ones made from natural fibers and without any chemical substances can be included into this category.
Their disadvantages are:
- They aren`t very practical.
- They need to be washed often.
- They need to be checked for their sizes because they don`t generally fit as the disposable diapers do.
- They don`t absorb just as well.
What Are Reusable Diapers Made From?
These diapers are designed from natural fibers in which there aren`t any chemical agents; they are the safest for the skin of your baby. Their absorption ability is smaller than in the case of those that use chemicals, but the fact that they represent no risk for the baby`s health helps parents go over this small inconvenient.
How to Use a Reusable Diaper?
These days there are several different types of diapers made from canvas, depending on their number of layers or their model. Each type has a distinct set of guidelines on how it is to be used as well as a distinct locking system, although many of them are rather similar, generally speaking.
- Traditional – which have 2 layers and require manual folding.
- Pantyhose type – similar to disposable diapers, include only 2 layers – the one made from cotton and the one used for absorbing moisture.
- Pre-folded – similar to traditional diapers, but they are easier to fold because they don`t include the last layer.
The pre-folded diaper is the most easy to use because it doesn`t require too many skills and it`s practical. The traditional and pantyhose diapers need a bit more skills because they have more layers and are harder to grip. However, once you get the hang of it, they seem quite easy to use.
A lot of these diapers come with a lot of accessories, which usually facilitates their locking system and the way you can use them again. For instance, there is a special piece of paper, usually made from cellulose, which is attached on the diaper and helps protect the infant`s skin. This piece of paper can be removed and changed when needed and this way the diaper can be cleaned much easier.
Even though you don`t need to buy entire boxes of diapers as required with disposable diapers, you still need to have at least 2 washable diapers. One you`ll always need to have as back-up, and the other one you need it when the first one needs to be washed.
Used diapers should be placed in a special basket to be washed away from all the other clothes. They need to be washed at low temperatures and using only hypoallergenic detergents.
Advantages for Reusable Diapers
Among the most common false ideas about reusable diapers is that they`re hard to maintain and laborious to use. Modern reusable diapers are just as easy to use as disposable ones and also as easy to maintain as any other clothing item from your load of laundry. Other benefits of cloth diapers are:
- Reusable diapers are environment-friendly, not contributing to pollution and dumping practically nothing at landfills.
- Reusable diapers are soft against the skin of the baby.
- They are also free of the many chemical substances that are generally added in disposable diapers.
- Reusable diapers are considered the ultimate in recycling due do the fact that they are used over and over again.
- Modern reusable diapers are conceivably better at containing faeces than disposable ones.
- They`re manufactured with more adjustable components.
- Reusable diapers are stronger than disposable diapers.
- Cloth diapers are thicker elastic at the back and legs.
- This type of diapers is more versatile and convenient due to their 1 or 2 piece designs and adjustable sizing.
Are Cloth Diapers Better than Disposable Diapers?
Disposable diapers are of a lot of help in maintaining the baby`s skin dry due to the fact that they are super absorbent. Still, with their expensive cost and this absorbency, they have a tendency of not being changes as often as it should, which according to the doctor`s recommendation is every 2 or 3 hours. Dropping sales in disposable diapers corresponding with increasing sales of diaper rash lotions brought attention recently to this dilemma of disposable diapering. With reusable diapers, the cost involving the change of diapers is a less important factor as each and every diaper can be reused lots of times, providing constant changes and a method to maintain the baby`s skin free of rash and truly dry.
Cost of Reusable Diapers vs. Disposable Diapers
The cost of reusable diapers is much cheaper than the one of disposable diapers. Using generic disposable diapers usually costs more than $1400 in 2.5 years. If you are to use some environmental-friendly diapers, the cost might go up to $2,500. A full time reusable diapering system might get you out of the pocket up to $300. When managing your supply, the cost of reusable diapers comes upfront, but it alleviates the periodic stress regarding your budget for disposable diapers regularly. Overall, opting for reusable diapers is much cheaper, obviously, but also easier to the recurring budget. – Learn more!
Disadvantages of Reusable Diapers
Although lots of mothers still like using reusable diapers, there are a few disadvantages involving them:
- You have to wash the cloth on a regular basis, and you have to do it while the stains are still fresh. If not, you`ll find it harder to remove them.
- It`s less sanitary if you don`t manage to dispose the waste of the baby correctly and don`t manage to wash the clothes properly.
- It doesn`t absorb better than disposable diapers You have to be careful during the night to check if your baby has to be changed unlike the disposable ones which can be left at night without the need to be checked. Also, the skin of your baby is more likely to experience rashes if the diapers are left too much on the baby until changed.